Please note - my blog used to be found here :http://jeybird8.blogspot.com/ unfortunately I can no longer access that account.

Thursday 10 March 2011

Dinner at Home - Pumpkin & Feta Ravioli

P1060723

I finally got around to making ravioli with actual fresh pasta rather than with wonton wrappers. And yes, it is worth the effort.  I did not go to the trouble of cutting out circles to make my ravioli - I cut rectangles, which meant that I didnt have to waste any of my pasta sheets.  A more patient and perfectionist-minded person would probably have taken more time to make sure that all the rectangles were the same size, but I just cut them with a knife using my eye to roughly guess the right measurements :-)

I filled the ravioli with pumpkin I had cooked with some garlic, onion, fresh herbs and olive oil in a frying pan, mixed with some danish-style feta.

I put small amounts of the filling onto one side of the pasta rectangle, brushed the edges with egg and folded in half to create roughly square-shaped ravioli. Once the pasta was cooked in boiling water, I tossed it through a light tomato sauce (simply tossed some diced tomato through some butter, garlic and onion in a pan)

This dish was based on the below recipe that I got when I did the Perfect Pasta Class at Focus by James restaurant at Springwood last year - just substitute some homemade pasta for the wonton wrappers and add some tomato to the butter sauce.



Ravioli filled with Roast Pumpkin, Persian Fetta, Garlic and Lemon Thyme, with a Sage Burnt Butter Sauce

Ingredients – serves 2:




¼ pkt fresh wonton sheets
100g butternut pumpkin
1 brown onion
¼ bunch fresh basil
¼ bunch fresh sage
¼ bunch lemon thyme
1 clove garlic
35g Persian fetta
75g grated parmesan cheese
100g butter
1 egg
olive oil
salt and pepper


1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C
2. Cut pumpkin into small pieces place on roasting tray, splash a bit ofolive oil and lemon thyme over it and roast until soft

3. Meanwhile, dice the onion and garlic finely

4. Fry onion, garlic in the pan on a low heat until soft, add pumpkin

5. Chop basil and add to mix (save some leaves for garnish)

6. Add fetta to the mix. Season to taste, take off heat

7. Put large pot of water on the boil


8. Brush outside edges of wonton wrappers with egg

9. Place filling in centre of each ravioli, and fold circle in half to form pasta parcels, press edges together to seal, then trim edges

10. Cook ravioli in boiling water till pasta is soft and rises to the surface. This should take about two minutes


11. Grate parmesan with microplane while you wait


12. In a frying pan, melt butter and add chopped sage


13. Cook on medium heat until butter just begins to brown, andsage leaves go crisp

14. Season to taste


15. Immerse cooked ravioli in sauce briefly to take up sauce

16. Plate the ravioli, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and topwith saved basil leaves


17. Serve hot and immediately

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I made some pumpkin ravioli the other day too - with chive, goats cheese and a burnt butter and sage sauce. Took ages but was delish.

    ReplyDelete