Please note - my blog used to be found here :http://jeybird8.blogspot.com/ unfortunately I can no longer access that account.

Saturday 17 September 2011

Zucchini and beetroot fritters - from the garden!!

 P1070525

How exciting is it to be able to make dinner that the majority of the ingredients were grown just outside in the garden??? Very very exciting indeed!

Our zucchini crop is doing quite well, and I had to thin out the beetroot in the patch, so the result was these fritters -

Ingredients
3 large zucchini
2 baby beetroot
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic
fresh herbs (I had parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary & oregano)
2 eggs
3 tablespoons cottage cheese
4-5 tablespoons SR flour

In a food processor grate zucchini & beetroot. Put into a large bowl.

Then with the chopper blade, whizz up the onion, garlic, and herbs.  Add the eggs and cottage cheese and whizz till combined.

Mix this through the grated vegies in the large bowl.  Add the flour a couple of spoonfulls at a time.  You may need more, you may need less.  When the mix looks like it is not overly runny, I usually make a test fritter - fry in a hot frying pan with a little oil and see if the mixture holds together.  If its a disaster, add a bit more flour and try again!

If your test fritter is ok, continue to fry heaped spoonfuls of mix until browned on both sides.  I take the cooked fritters and put into a preheated oven so they don't get cold while I am making the rest.

I served my fritters with some tomato salsa (tomatoes were from the garden also!) made with chopped tomatoes, a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper and oregano.

P1070524

No comments:

Post a Comment